Once you have made your own easy homemade lip gloss you’ll think twice before reaching for those pricy lip gloss at Sephora. I hate dry lips. Everyone hates dry lips, especially during the winter months. A very good friend of mine says she hates dry lips so much that she makes sure to always have lip gloss around. She keeps a bunch in her office, a few in her gym bag and at least one or two in each of her many totes and handbags. Nice lip gloss isn’t cheap. All natural lip gloss, like Burt’s Bees Natural Lip Gloss and bareMinerals Natural Lip Gloss, is even more expensive. It adds up when you are always keeping 4 or 5 or more tubes of lip gloss around.
You know what though?! You can make your own lip gloss following this easy homemade lip gloss recipe. Your easy homemade lip gloss will not cost you $8 or $10 a pop. It will cost you a whole lot less. You can also customize your gloss to any shade you like. Most importantly, the lip gloss you make following this easy homemade lip gloss recipe contains only all natural ingredients. Say good bye to synthetic ingredients and artificial flavoring and give the recipe a try. Soon, you will be proudly making your very own all natural easy homemade lip gloss, and sharing/gifting your creations with your appreciative loved ones.
Easy Homemade Lip Gloss Using Only Natural Ingredients
Ingredients for Easy Homemade Lip Gloss
- Grapeseed Oil or Olive Oil – 4 tablespoons. I use Trader Joe’s Grapeseed Oil that costs a few dollars at Trader Joe’s. Olive oil works too.
- Coconut Oil (unrefined) – 2 tablespoons. I use Trader Joe’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil that sells for a few dollars at Trader Joe’s. Any other brands of organic extra virgin coconut oil will work. Make sure you are using extra virgin unrefined coconut oil. It’s the best for your lips and skin.
- Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter – 2 tablespoons. I use Cocoa Butter. You can also try Organic Cocoa Butter. Raw Unrefined African Shea Butter works too. I prefer using cocoa butter, because it makes the easy homemade lip gloss taste like chocolate!
- Beeswax (cosmetic grade) – 2 tablespoons (Beeswax Organic Pastilles) UPDATE: one reader reported that her easy homemade lip gloss came out too hard. If you are concerned about this, use 1 tablespoon, rather than 2 tablespoons, of beeswax.
- Vitamin E Pills – 3 capsules. I use Vitamin E derived from natural sources. You want D-alpha-tocopherol Vitamin E, not Dl-alpha-tocopherol Vitamin E, which is synthetic. I get my D-alpha-tocopherol (natural) Vitamin E pills from Whole Foods.
- (Optional) Rose Red Mica Powder – 1/8 teaspoon (Red Mica Powder)
- (Optional) Orange Essential Oil – 6 drops (NOW Foods Orange Essential Oil)
- (Optional) Lavender Essential Oil – 3 drops (NOW Foods Lavender Essential Oil Lavender)
Instruction On Making Easy Homemade Lip Gloss
1. Add grapeseed oil (or olive oil), coconut oil, cocoa butter (or shea butter) and beeswax to a glass measuring cup (or any glass or ceramic jar that allows for easy pouring).
2. Place glass measuring cup in a pot filled with 2 inches of water (you are creating a double boiler to melt the oil, butter and beeswax).
3. Turn flame/heat to medium to heat up the water and melt the mixture completely. It took me about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Cut ends of vitamin E capsules, and squeeze vitamin E into the melted mixture. Add only what’s inside the capsules, not the capsule shells. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties and does wonders for your lips and skin.
5. (Optional) Add orange and lavender essential oil, and Rose Red Mica Powder. Mica powder is a mineral powder that gives the lip gloss its color. The more mica powder you add, the deeper the shade your easy homemade lip gloss will be. You can skip the essential oil and the mica powder all together. Without the essential oil, your easy homemade lip gloss will have a hint of chocolate and honey smell, because of the cocoa butter and beeswax. Without the mica powder, your lip gloss will have a light beige tone It will be completely colorless when applied on your lips. Leave out the mica powder, and this easy homemade lip gloss recipe turns into a great recipe for natural lip balm.
Add Some Flavor?
If you use cocoa butter, instead of shea butter, your easy homemade lip gloss should taste like chocolate!
I have also tried adding honey to this recipe for a few batches with OK results. If you add honey, it lightly sweetens the easy homemade lip gloss. Honey is heavier than the lip gloss mixture, which means that it will sink. If you want to add honey, make sure to do so when the lip gloss mixture is still in the double boiler and that the honey is fully incorporated into the mixture before you pour everything into your lip gloss tube. I didn’t mix the honey into the mixture well in a batch and when I poured the mixture into the lip gloss tubes, the honey became separated from the lip gloss mixture and sunk to the bottom of the tubes. Ugh! It was definitely a fail!
Also, based on what I have read, even if the honey doesn’t get separated when you pour the honey-lip gloss mixture into the lip gloss tubes, over time, the honey will sink to the bottom, leaving you with not-so-pretty lip gloss creations. So, if you want to add honey, go ahead. But remember to mix everything very well and try to use the easy homemade lip gloss soon after you’ve made it.
People have used natural flavoring to sweeten their lip gloss. I don’t like to do that because there really isn’t any natural flavoring that doesn’t include some kind of additives or solvents. Read more about it in this CNN article. I personally don’t like it in my lip gloss, but you sure can add it to your lip gloss if “natural flavoring” doesn’t rub you the wrong way as it does me.
That’s it! Super easy, right? So, give this easy homemade lip gloss recipe a try. I’d love to hear about your creations. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. It’d be great if after you’ve tried this recipe, you no longer purchase store-bought lip gloss that is loaded with preservatives and artificial ingredients. If you like this easy homemade lip gloss recipe, be sure to share it or pin it!
Credit : http://naturallyhandcrafted.com/body-care-product-recipes/easy-homemade-lip-gloss-recipe/